Cycle Friendly Schools Award
The Cycle Friendly School Award is a nationally recognised award scheme to celebrate and champion best practice in school cycling.
Achieving a Cycle Friendy School Award is a great way of rewarding the school community for its commitment to cycling, and of bringing everyone together to develop cycling further. When assessing schools for the award, we consider how well the following criteria have been met:
- Appoint a 'school cycling champion' who will coordinate activities and be the main point of contact during the awards process.
- Provide cycle parking and changing facilities.
- Create a school travel plan and identify safe cycling routes to school.
- Deliver Bikeability Scotland cycle training.
- Promote extra-curricular cycling to pupils and the wider school community.
- Participate in promotional cycling activities, such as The Big Pedal, and other initiatives that promote cycling, such as the Eco-Schools award.
When applying for the award, the school will first complete a self-assessment against these criteria, and you will then be visited by someone from Cycling Scotland who will carry out a short assessment and provide advice.
If you'd like to apply for the award or find out more, please visit www.cyclefriendlyschool.co.uk.